Fulfilling Your Alimony And Child Support Obligations During COVID-19

Categories: Alimony & Child Support

Designer in new normal boutique wearing mask, covid 19

With the COVID-19 pandemic, many companies are laying off employees from all over the country. Those who have been retrenched are unsure if they will be able to find new jobs after the stay-home order has been lifted in the city or state that they reside in. The worldwide pandemic has resulted in a significant increase in unemployment rates during the past few months. Unemployment has now become a pressing problem for people who need to fulfil their child support and alimony obligations. If they cannot find another job anytime soon, they will not be able to make their alimony or child support payments.

If you find yourself in such a situation, your best course of action would be to look for a reliable lawyer in your state to guide you through and advise you on what you should do next. Read on to find out more about fulfilling your alimony and child support obligations during COVID-19.

Furloughed by your Employer

Unfortunately, even if you have been furloughed at work, your child support and alimony obligations will not automatically be put on hold. Furthermore, if you fail to pay for child support, you may be held in contempt of court. You may also be required to pay a lump-sum amount, have your driver’s license suspended, or even have a warrant issued for your arrest. Child support and alimony obligations do not cease unless they have been modified by a court order.

If you are experiencing difficulties and cannot afford to fulfil your child support and alimony obligations, you should contact a family law attorney to help you. A family law attorney can protect your interests in court by reviewing your circumstances and explaining options available to you.

Retrenched by your Employer

In order to modify your child support and alimony obligations, you have to show that there has been an unforeseen, substantial change in your financial circumstances. If you have been laid off permanently and is unlikely to land a job in the near future, you can seek to modify your alimony and child support obligations through filing for a modification. Do note that the modification can only be made from the time you submit your modification request. Hence, once your financial circumstances have taken a turn for the worse, file for a modification quickly.

Find an Attorney to help with your Child Support and Alimony Obligations

If you have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and cannot pay your child support and alimony obligations, you should seek assistance from a family lawyer. Attorney Romanowski from Romanowski Law Offices is an experienced lawyer in the family law field. He has been selected as the Nation’s Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. As such, you can rest assured that he will be able to help you with your child support and alimony modification request. Contact his office to find out more today!